So, yesterday morning at church Delaney decided to lay some pretty tough questions on me during mass. She had brought her "busy" bag full of things to play with but they were not keeping her "busy". Usually I can give her the "look" when she starts fidgeting and she will stop or I can bribe her with not getting a donut after church and that usually puts an end to it right away. NOT this time. During the gospel she asked, "Does God have a life?" and I asked, "What do you mean?" her response was, "You know-someone to fix him food, boss him around and scratch his back?" I said, "Do you mean a wife?" She says,"Thats what I said! A life!" Ok...apparently I need to get her ears checked. So, I say the old stand by, "Why don't you ask your Daddy?" That seemed to stop her questioning right away because she knows discussing this with her Daddy would not get her the answer she was wanting. So, the mass is going along and she is being pretty good at this point. Then the collection basket comes and she puts in our envelope. A few minutes go by and she asks, "What does God do with the money we put in the basket?" As I am thinking how to reply she says, "Oh duh! I know! He pays for all the donuts after church! " I just smiled and thought, "well duh!".........
Part 2.......
Monday was a holy day of obligation, which meant going to church 2 days in a row. Well, this really threw Delaney for a loop. Once we got to church Monday evening she says, "Geesh! I feel like I was just here!" Oh brother! I say, "We were just here yesterday." Her response, "Is today Sunday?" "No, today is Monday." "Well...why are we here if its not Sunday?" I'm thinking to myself how deep do I really want to go with a 4 year old? So I respond, "Today we are celebrating Mary, she is Jesus's mommy" A few minutes go by and she says, "Does God ever get a day off?" "No." "Why?" So I use the old standby. "Just because! Now please be quiet!" So mass is moving along and then all of a sudden I see her leaning towards me and I am thinking oh man, what next! "Where does Jesus buy his clothes?" SSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Was my response. So then we are going up to communion and she notices several people are not going up and she rather loudly asks, "Why do I always have to go up? Why can't I sit down like those people?" SSHHHHHHH! "Can I finally get one of those crackers?" "No! Now stop with the questions!" I have about come to the decision that I am going to start leaving her at home because I really do not get anything out of the mass because I spend most of it fielding questions from a 4 year old! Mass has finally ended and she is upset because there are no donuts after this mass, which leads to this statement- " I guess God ran out of money." "Mommy, if Mary is Jesus's mommy-then who is God's mommy?" ................................so this is what I finally told her. "Delaney, I think when we go back to Columbus we will have to go and have a chat with Father Del." To which she responded, "Who is Father Del? Is he Father Novak's brother?".....will the questions never end?
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment